Survival (FM 3-05.70).pdf
Taken from Preface: As a soldier, you can be sent to any area of the world. It may be in a temperate, tropical, arctic, or subarctic region. You expect to have all your personal equipment and your unit members with you wherever you go. However, there is no guarantee it will be so.
You could find yourself alone in a remote area—possibly enemy territory—with little or no personal gear. This manual provides information and describes basic techniques that will enable you to survive and return alive should you find yourself in such a situation.
If you are a trainer, use this information as a base on which to build survival training. You know the areas to which your unit is likely to deploy, the means by which it will travel, and the territory through which it will travel. Read what this manual says about survival in those particular areas and find out all you can about those areas. Read other books on survival.
Develop a survival-training program that will enable your unit members to meet any survival situation they may face. It can make the difference between life and death.
The proponent of this publication is the United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School (USAJFKSWCS). Submit comments and recommended changes to Commander, USAJFKSWCS, ATTN: AOJK-DT-SF, Fort Bragg, NC 28310-5000. Unless this publication states otherwise, masculine nouns and pronouns do not refer exclusively to men.
- INTRODUCTION [ Survival Actions ~ Pattern for Survival ]
- PSYCHOLOGY OF SURVIVAL [ A Look at Stress ~ Natural Reactions ~ Preparing Yourself ]
- SURVIVAL PLANNING AND SURVIVAL KITS [ Importance of Planning ~ Survival Kits ]
- BASIC SURVIVAL MEDICINE [ Requirements for Maintenance of Health ~ Medical Emergencies ~ Lifesaving Steps ~ Bone and Joint Injury ~ Bites and Stings ~ Wounds ~ Environmental Injuries ~ Herbal Medicines ]
- SHELTERS [ Primary Shelter—Uniform ~ Shelter Site Selection ~ Types of Shelters ]
- WATER PROCUREMENT [ Water Sources ~ Still Construction ~ Water Purification ~ Water Filtration Devices ]
- FIRECRAFT [ Basic Fire Principles ~ Site Selection and Preparation ~ Fire Material Selection ~ How to Build a Fire ~ How to Light a Fire. ]
- FOOD PROCUREMENT [ Animals for Food ~ Traps and Snares ~ Killing Devices ~ Fishing Devices ~ Cooking and Storage of Fish and Game ]
- SURVIVAL USE OF PLANTS [ Edibility of Plants ~ Plants for Medicine ~ Miscellaneous Uses of Plants ]
- POISONOUS PLANTS [ How Plants Poison ~ All About Plants ~ Rules for Avoiding Poisonous Plants ~ Contact Dermatitis ~ Ingestion Poisoning. ]
- DANGEROUS ANIMALS [ Insects and Arachnids ~ Leeches ~ Bats ~ Venomous Snakes ~ Snake-Free Areas ~ Dangerous Lizards ~ Dangers in Rivers ~ Dangers in Bays and Estuaries ~ Saltwater Dangers ~ Other Dangerous Sea Creatures ]
- FIELD-EXPEDIENT WEAPONS, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT [ Staffs ~ Clubs ~ Edged Weapons ~ Other Expedient Weapons ~ Cordage and Lashing ~ Rucksack Construction ~ Clothing and Insulation ~ Cooking and Eating Utensils ]
- DESERT SURVIVAL [ Terrain ~ Environmental Factors ~ Need for Water ~ Heat Casualties ~ Precautions ~ Desert Hazards ]
- TROPICAL SURVIVAL [ Tropical Weather ~ Jungle Types ~ Travel Through Jungle Areas ~ Immediate Considerations ~ Water Procurement ~ Food ~ Poisonous Plants ]
- COLD WEATHER SURVIVAL [ Cold Regions and Locations ~ Windchill ~ Basic Principles of Cold Weather Survival ~ Hygiene ~ Medical Aspects ~ Cold Injuries ~ Shelters ~ Fire ~ Water ~ Food ~ Travel ~ Weather Signs ]
- SEA SURVIVAL [ The Open Sea ~ Seashores. ]
- EXPEDIENT WATER CROSSINGS [ Rivers and Streams ~ Rapids ~ Rafts ~ Flotation Devices ~ Other Water Obstacles ~ Vegetation Obstacles ]
- FIELD-EXPEDIENT DIRECTION FINDING [ Using the Sun and Shadows ~ Using the Moon ~ Using the Stars ~ Making Improvised Compasses ~ Other Means of Determining Direction ]
- SIGNALING TECHNIQUES [ Application ~ Means for Signaling ~ Codes and Signals ~ Aircraft Vectoring Procedures. ]
- SURVIVAL MOVEMENT IN HOSTILE AREAS [ Phases of Planning ~ Execution ~ Return to Friendly Control ]
- CAMOUFLAGE [ Personal Camouflage ~ Methods of Stalking ]
- CONTACT WITH PEOPLE [ Contact With Local People ~ Survival Behavior ~ Changes to Political Allegiance ]
- SURVIVAL IN MAN-MADE HAZARDS [ The Nuclear Environment ~ Biological Environments ~ Chemical Environments. ]
- SURVIVAL KITS
- EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANTS
- POISONOUS PLANTS
- DANGEROUS INSECTS AND ARACHNIDS
- VENOMOUS SNAKES AND LIZARDS
- DANGEROUS FISH AND MOLLUSKS
- ROPES AND KNOTS
- CLOUDS: FORETELLERS OF WEATHER
- EVASION PLAN OF ACTION FORMAT
PLEASE FILL RECAPTCHA BELOW TO GET THE LINK(S)TO DOWNLOAD/READ ONLINE THE CURRENT MATERIAL